The exhibition includes around a hundred famous works by Ermanno Nason (Murano, 1928), the great glass maker maestro and member of a family that has played an important part in every stage of the history of Murano from the XVII century to today.
A favourite with the artists of Egidio Costantini’s “La Fucina degli Angeli”, Ermanno Nason has worked together with Pablo Picasso, Jean Cocteau, Marc Chagall, Max Ernst, Hans Arp, Kokoshka, Nag Arnoldi, Borsi, Jean Le Witt, Fred Fay, Krayer, Antun Motika and Bergamini, Guttuso, Braque, Verde, Hundertwasser, Fontana, Pignon, Bellini, Minguzzi, Goldoni, Carraro, Fulvio Bianconi, transforming their projects into glass in innovative and unusual forms, achieving outstanding results with his a massello production, created by shaping glass as an incandescent mass. Unrivalled in the history of glass making on Murano, his glass sculptures display a sensitivity that is sincere and convinced (and therefore convincing) towards the modern, abstract and informal.
Testimony to just a small part of his infinite production, the works on display include a little bit of everything: the virtuosity and perfect reproduction of the Cellini salt-cellar, a pop version of the head of the Statue of Liberty, the splendid faces of the crystal woman, the Tiepolo-style Pulcinella, the huge statue of Samson and the small bust of a woman worthy of Aristide Maillol.
This is the fourth exhibition organized thanks to the collaboration of the Association Vetrovetro, after Fare Vetro. Creatività e tecnica in cento opere, 29 May – 28 October 2008; REDISCOVERNG THE MUSEUM: Murano 1797-1859 from the collections of the Glass Museum, 6 December 2008 – 1 May 2009 and The revival from the second half of the XIX century. Antonio Salviati and Vincenzo Zanetti, 6 February – 15 June 2010.
Exhibition and Skira catalogue curated by Aldo Bova, with texts by Aldo Bova, Silvio Fuso, Chiara Squarcina, Giampaolo Seguso and several interviews by Francesca Cadel.
Exhibition project and setting by Eraldo Mauro. This exhibition was made possible thanks to the patronage of Regione Veneto and support by Banco San Marco, Ars Cenedese Murano srl, Ferro & Lazzarini srl.